[kde-linux] A novel(?) KDE 3.5 taskbar message

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Oct 11 10:13:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:53:37 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 October 2007, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> >> - when placing my mouse over the new icon, I got a message that the
> >>   content (the mounted drive?) is **asking for attention**.
> >
> > This basically means that **the window was opened** while you were
> > working with another window, so KWin, the KDE window manager decided not
> > to interrupt your work and open the window in the background.
>
> Thank you for the advice.
>
> I realise that KDE 3.5 (included in my recent upgrade to Debian Etch) is
> "old hat" and the real action has shifted to KDE 4.0.

3.5 is still important, since all the "enterprise/stable" distributions will
continue shipping it and it will be the KDE for large scale installation for
quite some time.

> But, to me, KDE 3.5 includes numerous novelties.  If there is some
> documentation that itemises these novelties and how to use them
> effectively, I would welcome being pointed to them.

Probably in the release notes of each 3.5.x release, but I am not sure if an
overview document exists.

> As an example, KDE 3.5 opens a new window whenever I mount a drive that
> contains a DVD or a memory-stick and then gives me the option "do nothing"
> or "open a new window".  I have explored both options; neither option
> impacts on my subsequent use of the mounted drive and I am unclear what I
> have <achieved |missed> by selecting one option rather than the other.

"do nothing" just does that, nothing :)

The other option(s) will usually mount the device's filesystem and then
perform an action, e.g. opening the file manager, download images.
So you'll usually have to unmount it before you can remove it.

Some options might actually perform actions without mounting if this is not
required, e.g. play an audio CD.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring