[kde-linux] A novel(?) KDE 3.5 taskbar message

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Wed Oct 10 21:11:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:53:37 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> On Saturday 06 October 2007, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> - when placing my mouse over the new icon, I got a message that the
>>   content (the mounted drive?) is **asking for attention**.
>

> This basically means that **the window was opened** while you were
> working with another window, so KWin, the KDE window manager decided not
> to interrupt your work and open the window in the background.

Thank you for the advice.

I realise that KDE 3.5 (included in my recent upgrade to Debian Etch) is
"old hat" and the real action has shifted to KDE 4.0.

But, to me, KDE 3.5 includes numerous novelties.  If there is some
documentation that itemises these novelties and how to use them
effectively, I would welcome being pointed to them.

As an example, KDE 3.5 opens a new window whenever I mount a drive that
contains a DVD or a memory-stick and then gives me the option "do nothing"
or "open a new window".  I have explored both options; neither option
impacts on my subsequent use of the mounted drive and I am unclear what I
have <achieved |missed> by selecting one option rather than the other.

Kind regards

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen