[kde-linux] Problem with skim using KDE apps

Murray Trainer mtrainer at central-data.net
Tue Nov 27 04:12:56 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Krammer" <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
To: kde-linux at kde.org
Sent: 26 November 2007 19:55:29 o'clock (GMT+0800) Australia/Perth
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] Problem with skim using KDE apps

On Monday 26 November 2007, Murray Trainer wrote:

> and have set the variables below as suggested in the FAQ:

Which FAQ?

> export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
> export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>
> and I have skim working OK but I can't input characters from SKIM into KDE
> applications.  It is working for OpenOffice, Firefox and Gnome Evolution.
> Is there something special I need to do for KDE to make it work?

Where to you set them?
Are they present in the environment used by the KDE starter script "startkde"?
I.e. testing it bydoing ALT+F2, typing
env > /tmp/env.txt

and checking if the three variable as present and correctly set
in /tmp/env.txt

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.  I think I have fixed the problem installing scim-qtimm.  I will need to test a bit further but it looks better.

The documentation I used is here:

http://scim.sourceforge.net/skim/doc/user/en/#using-skim

I am using SuSE 10.2 but the guide refers to Gentoo.

I put the environment variables in my .profile and they are set correctly:

> env|egrep 'XMODIFIERS|GTK_IM_MODULE|QT_IM_MODULE'
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim

Thanks