[kde-linux] Installing KDE in Home Directory

O. Olson olson_ord at yahoo.it
Sun May 27 23:08:18 UTC 2007

--- Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> ha scritto:
> I'd suggest using manually compiling instead, since
> it gives you a better
> control over what you pass to the configure scripts.
> For example if you do
> not use any functionalizy which would require
> another library, you can just
> opt top build without.
>
> Basically the main steps are:
>
> - install Qt or check that the installed Qt is ok
> (recent enough, headers
> available)
>
> - build and install arts
>
> - build and install kdelibs
>
> -build and install kdebase
>
> Additional packages can be installed in any order.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Dear Kevin,

	Thank you for providing these steps and the links –
at least now I have something to follow. (I am new to
this – so I might be missing something obvious.)

	According to what you have told me I first checked
for QT. In the installed QT (i.e. in /usr/lib – or
something like that) I noticed that the bin directory
was empty. So I decided to install QT into my home
directory. I think that this went OK, because I got
some executables in the bin directory – and from the
command line, I did not notice any errors – at least
it did not crash.

	I then installed aRts into my home directory in
~/installed_arts (using the ./configure
–prefix=~/installed_arts – as you mentioned in your
previous email). I think that this went OK also.

I then downloaded the kdelibs, and tried to install it
into ~/installed_kdelibs (using the ./configure
–prefix=~/installed_ kdelibs). However the configure
script crashes with the error:

Checking for aRts-1.1
 configure: error aRts 1.1 not
installed in the same prefix as KDE!
Please reinstall aRts in the same prefix as KDE,
different prefixes are not supported right now.

(kdelibs prefix is /home/masca/installed_kdelibs, aRts
prefix is /home/masca/installed_arts)

So what do I do? Do I move installed_arts to
installed_kdelibs – but I don’t think that would work.
Also if I copy the contents of installed_arts to
installed_kdelibs I may not know later what belongs to
aRts and what to kdelibs.

Let me know whats the correct thing to be done here.

Thanks a lot.
O.O.