[kde-linux] Installing KDE in Home Directory

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun May 27 13:25:34 UTC 2007

On Sunday 27 May 2007, O. Olson wrote:
> Dear Kevin,
>
> 	Thanks for responding. Please let me know if there is
> any documentation on what to download and what to
> compile, and how to do it. I am new to this.

Check if this helps you
http://developer.kde.org/build/stable.html
and
http://developer.kde.org/build/build2ver.html

You might not need to compile Qt yourself, if the version provided by the
distribution is recent enough and the headers are also installed.

> As I mentioned in my original email, I tried to use
> Konstruct but it first complains regarding the
> libpcre, and then crashes because it cannot find
> /usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.la

I'd suggest using manually compiling instead, since it gives you a better
control over what you pass to the configure scripts. For example if you do
not use any functionalizy which would require another library, you can just
opt top build without.

Basically the main steps are:

- install Qt or check that the installed Qt is ok (recent enough, headers
available)

- build and install arts

- build and install kdelibs

-build and install kdebase

Additional packages can be installed in any order.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring