[kde-linux] Installing KDE in Home Directory

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat May 26 12:15:00 UTC 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007, O. Olson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using CentOS 4.4. Is there a way to install KDE
> into my home directory - without having the root
> privileges? I have a virtually unlimited disk space -
> but I cannot get the root on this machine (where I
> work).

Yes, this should work pretty nicely.
You need to make sure that whatever you compile, you pass the
--prefix
option to configure, for examle

./configure --prefix /home/username/kdeinstall

Then, for running it, you need to make sure a couple of environment variables
are set correctly

PATH needs to point to prefix/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to point to prefix/lib

KDEDIRS needs to point to prefix

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring