[kde-linux] kde kwin/beryl

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Thu Mar 1 12:28:58 UTC 2007

On ThursdAfter you have uninstalled your compiz window manager, kwin was not
reestablished as window manager. KWin is the default window manager for KDE,
but when you installed compiz this was probably changed. See if there is a
file in /opt/kde3/env setting the KDEWM environment variable. See this HOWTO
http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux (the "Using Compiz with the
KDE desktop" section). It gives you steps to do the exact opposite on SuSE
10.1, but I think it will be useful on SuSE 10.2 and you'll get the idea,
what might need changing... At least you can follow the same procedure to set
the KDEWM to kwin.ay 01 March 2007 03:04:24 am Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> After you have uninstalled your compiz window manager, kwin was not
> reestablished as window manager. KWin is the default window manager for
> KDE, but when you installed compiz this was probably changed. See if there
> is a file in /opt/kde3/env setting the KDEWM environment variable. See this
> HOWTO http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux (the "Using Compiz
> with the KDE desktop" section). It gives you steps to do the exact opposite
> on SuSE 10.1, but I think it will be useful on SuSE 10.2 and you'll get the
> idea, what might need changing... At least you can follow the same
> procedure to set the KDEWM to kwin.
I looked in /opt/kde3/env/startkde.suse.sh and found this:
---------------------------------------
if [ -r /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager ]; then
  # Do the user want the SuSE theme ?
  source /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager
that web page wasn't they way I installed beryl.I used this Beryl Wiki Page:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_SuSE_with_AIGLX_and_Intel_GMA
and there is no way to reverse the process.
	I think you are correct about replacing the window manager, how do I get kwin
to be the default? I can run it from the command line, I just need it to
start with every login.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800