[kde-linux] kde kwin/beryl

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:41:56 UTC 2007

On 1.3.2007 14:28:58 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I looked in /opt/kde3/env/startkde.suse.sh and found this:
> ---------------------------------------
> if [ -r /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager ]; then
>   # Do the user want the SuSE theme ?
>   source /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager
> ---------------------------
> that web page wasn't they way I installed beryl.I used this Beryl Wiki
> Page:
> http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_SuSE_with_AIGLX_and_Int
>el_GMA and there is no way to reverse the process.
> 	I think you are correct about replacing the window manager, how do I get
> kwin to be the default? I can run it from the command line, I just need it
> to start with every login.

I read the HOWTO you used and I think I have the answer. In the KDE section,
the instructions are to launch beryl and beryl-manager and they say that
those will be started automatically upon next startup. This assumes that you
have configured your KDE Session Manager to reload last session on startup.
You can override the saved session by setting Session Manager to restore
saved session. Do this in Control Center -> KDE Components -> Session
Manager. (You can also experiment with adding beryl and beryl-manager in the
Exclude from session box.)

Then close beryl-manager, start kwin --replace and save your session from the
KDE Menu -> Save Session. Logout and log in to test.

If this doesn't work, then the window manager doesn't get properly saved in
the session. Try to override the window manager with the following:

Create an executable file in the /opt/kde3/env directory and place this
inside:

export KDEWM=/opt/kde3/bin/kwin

Good luck and let me know what happens...

--
Blade hails you...

My song is little worth anymore
Time to lay this weary pen aside