[kde-linux] Connecting to a samba share at startup

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:05:56 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 31 Jul 2007, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 00:23:06 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > This is most odd.  During kde startup I was told that access was denied
> > > to my samba home.  On starting kontact I got an access denied, as well.
> > > In konqueror I saw my borg home directory listed.  When I went back to
> > > it a moment later not only was it not listed, but the mount point had
> > > disappeared.
> > >
> > > Totally weird.
> >
> > Still more weird - I now have an icon for the networked folder.  Clicking
> > on it opens a window labelled 'media:/anne' but anne doesn't show in the
> > navigator panel list, either under mnt or media.  Opening Calendar in
> > kontact still tells me that access is denied, yet my remote calendar is
> > displayed.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> The accessing a samba share via the media:/ location does not actually
> mount it on your machine. It uses the samba kio module to access the share.
>
> Your problem sounds like a permission one. Indeed I forgot to tell you that
> you'd have to instruct mount to do the mounting so that your ordinary user
> can have full access to the share.
>
> As John pointed out, you have to modify the fstab entry, adding the options
> like this:
>
> //borg/anne	/mnt/Samba-Home 	smbfs
> username=myname,password=mypass,uid=USER,gid=GROUP 0 0
>
> (Again, the above is a single line.)
>
> Substitute USER and GROUP with your username and primary group on the
> client machine. I don't think you'll need to specify any more advanced
> options, but feel free to take a look at those. You can find those in the
> smbmount's man page.
>
> Just a note: I see you are trying to mount the share in /mnt. Did you set
> your home directory as this in /etc/passwd? You could as well mount it
> directly in /home/anne.
>
> Best regards!

Hi, John and Boyan.  I understand the comments about having username and
password in fstab - I'll attend to it, and come back if I have any questions
on that.

What is really puzzling me is that I get a desktop icon for the remote home
directory, and all my files are listed, yet kontact tells me that it cannot
access that directory.  If I use the kde network folder icon to mount a share
and keep it open everything works fine.  To blur the issue even more, my
laptop has the same version of Mandriva, of kde, and of kontact, and doesn't
have this issue.

Accessing the home directory from the desktop icon does not require any
further username or password.  Accessing it from the Network Folders icon
asks for both, even if I have an open konqueror in the share from the desktop
icon.

It occurs to me that one thing I haven't tried is setting the kontact
requirement to a fish: command instead of a smb: one.