[kde-linux] kde and wireless

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jul 15 17:06:08 UTC 2007

On Sunday 15 July 2007, Charlie Bradley wrote:
> This may not be the right list but I have tried the kubuntu forums and I
> can't get any help with this problem.  After using gnome for the first time
> in years I belive this to be a KDE problem.  So here it goes.
>
> I am having big problems with wireless connections in KDE.  I just got a
> laptop from Linuxcertified with preinstalled Ubuntu.  I then installed
> kubuntu on another partition which shares the /home.  When I boot into
> Ubuntu(gnome) the wireles connects right off the bat!  Kubuntu did the same
> until I upgraded the system and ran automatix2. So then I installed
> kwifimanager and that worked couple of times.  Now when I use kwifi to
> coonect to the network I still have diddle with the network settings
> because it doesn't grab the IP address!  This is really frustrating.

What kind of system does Ubuntu use?
I would have expected that they are using NetworkManager, since it has both a
GNOME and a KDE frontend, .e.g Ubuntu would use gnome-network-manager and
Kubuntu would use knetworkmanager.

Independent of the original system: any particular reason why you switched to
kwifimanager?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring