[kde-linux] Network Card not starting.

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Fri Jul 13 18:27:42 UTC 2007

Hello Boyan,

On Friday 13 July 2007 07:16, Boyan Tabakov inscribed thus:
> On Thursday 12 July 2007 21:18:46 Gaffer. wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I don't know if this is a kde issue or a SuSE one !  Probably a
> > SuSE issue!   Clean install of 10.2.
> >
> > Knetwork manager will not start the network card (tulip driver)
> > if it is not running.  If it is running, it won't stop the card!
> >
> > If the card doesn't start on boot, you have to go through "YAST"
> > and click through the settings, without changing anything, to
> > force the network to start.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Hi,
>
> See if networkmanager daemon is running (note that there is no 'k'
> at the beginning).

Mmmm Doesn't seem to be !  On clients machine. where should it start
from ?

> Do you really need to use the networkmanager to set your network?
> Are you often changing configurations?

Two machines involved here !  On my laptop yes.  I switch between
wireless and lan via network card.  Thats fine! No problems.
But the clients machine is lan only.  Still no sign of
"networkmanager" daemon though !

> If not, try to set the card using the "classic" method. This should
> be offered to you when you enter the setup module in yast.
>
> Best regards.

I have tried both ways.  Neither method seems to work properly.  I
also noticed that the sound is not working either.  I went for the
"networkmanager" because it gives an immediate indication that the
network is down.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.