[kde-linux] konsole PATH and LDLIB settings

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:32:18 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 15:44:51 Rod Butcher wrote:
> I want to have differen t versions of konsole that I can run with
> different environment variables e.g. I want one konsole to run with PATH
> and LD_LIBRARY_PATH = abcdef and another with PATH=vwxyz.
>
> I can get kon sole to load with other environmental varaiables preset
> (e.g. MACHTYPE) by using a wrapper script to execute the different
> versions of konsole i.e. export shell variables and then load konsole.
> But konsole always takes PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH from my login
> defaults.

Hi,

It is not konsole itself that loads the variables from your profile. It is the
shell that console executes (probably bash). When started the shell executes
its initialization scripts (.profile, .bash_profile, .bashrc, see man page of
bash for details on order and difference). If you wish to have different
variables set for different konsole sessions you could create several
initialization files and then set konsole's session (Configure Konsole ->
Sessions -> Execute) to execute the command 'bash --rcfile .my_init_file1'.
See the INVOCATION section in bash manual for details on other options of
invocation.

Best regards.

--
Blade hails you...

My home is far but the rest it lies so close
With my long lost love under the black rose
                                 --Nightwish