[kde-linux] konsole PATH and LDLIB settings

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Thu Jul 5 03:51:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 16:32 +0300, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2007 15:44:51 Rod Butcher wrote:
> > I want to have differen t versions of konsole that I can run with
> > different environment variables e.g. I want one konsole to run with PATH
> > and LD_LIBRARY_PATH = abcdef and another with PATH=vwxyz.
> >
> > I can get kon sole to load with other environmental varaiables preset
> > (e.g. MACHTYPE) by using a wrapper script to execute the different
> > versions of konsole i.e. export shell variables and then load konsole.
> > But konsole always takes PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH from my login
> > defaults.
>
> Hi,
>
> It is not konsole itself that loads the variables from your profile. It is the
> shell that console executes (probably bash). When started the shell executes
> its initialization scripts (.profile, .bash_profile, .bashrc, see man page of
> bash for details on order and difference). If you wish to have different
> variables set for different konsole sessions you could create several
> initialization files and then set konsole's session (Configure Konsole ->
> Sessions -> Execute) to execute the command 'bash --rcfile .my_init_file1'.
> See the INVOCATION section in bash manual for details on other options of
> invocation.
I tried setting Execute within console as you suggest i.e. Session ->
Execute -> bash --rcfile foo (foo contains export PATH= etc.). But foo
seems to be ignored.
However.. if I execute bash --rcfile foo from within konsole, then it
works OK i.e. I get a nested bash session with whatever values are set
in foo.
So how on earth do I get konsole to execure bash --rcfile foo ?
thanks
Rod
But if