[kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared

Steve O'Neill soneill at netaxs.com
Tue Dec 18 20:13:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Andrew Walbran wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 8:34:37 am Steve O'Neill wrote:
> > Here's what I get when I do this:
> >
> > kwin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kwin.so: undefined symbol:
> > _ZNK11NETRootInfo24desktopLayoutOrientationEv
> I do not have time to investigate fully right now, but c++filt reveals that
> this symbol corresponds to the C++ function
> NETRootInfo::desktopLayoutOrientation() const
> Googling for this suggests that it is defined in netwm.cpp. I am not sure what
> module (or even what library) this corresponds to, but if you can work that
> out you could try a different version of the package and see if that fixes
> the problem.

I managed to fix most of the problem just now by comparing the
libkdeinit_kwin.so that's currently on my drive to the one that came with the
installation DVD.  And, of course, they're different in both size and date.
My guess that one package or other "updated" some files is apparently correct.
I backed up the currnet lib file and copied over the original and, voila', the
windows have borders and appear at random positions when started, just like
before.  Looks like I have a bone to pick with the PCLinuxOS maintainers;
who knows how many other traps await the unwary user?

I do have one problem left, though.  When I try to add the Desktop Preview and
Pager applet to the panel so I can see my available desktops, I get an error
message telling me that it couldn't be loaded.  I assume the file in /usr/bin
called "kpager" is probably what I want, so I'll try replacing it with the
original.  If it doesn't work, I'll be back.  Again, many thanks for pointing
me in the right direction.

Steve O'Neill