[kde-linux] How to force num-lock on at KDE startup - solved

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 5 10:04:15 UTC 2007

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday 04 August 2007 19:54, david wrote:
>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>
>>> I was right - it was a silly question. I did find the answer, though.
>> So what is the answer?
>
> $ eix kxkb
> [...]
> Kxkb is a KControl module and frontend for X11 keyboard extension,
> allowing the user to configure and switch between keyboard mappings.

Hmmm, trying kxkb at a command line did nothing but return me to the
command line.

> I don't know in what way num-lock can still be considered a keyboard
> extension, but there you are. As far as I can remember. all keyboards but
> laptops' have had keypads for about 20 years. They are absolutely standard.

On PC hardware. UNIX and Linux are not limited to PC hardware.

>> My numlock refuses completely to come up ON, despite it being set to be on
>> in the BIOS and KDE being set to "Leave it unchanged" ....
>
> I tell KDE to switch it on regardless, as that's how I want it. Quite
> possibly, X will get to it before KDE and switch it off. Looks like this has
> not been properly thought out - or perhaps my understanding is faulty.

FWIW, that's how I finally got it to stay on - set it in KDE. Guess KDE
knows better than my BIOS how I like my NumLock set!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community