[kde-linux] How to force num-lock on at KDE startup - solved

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 09:50:44 UTC 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007 19:54, david wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
>
> > I was right - it was a silly question. I did find the answer, though.
>
> So what is the answer?

$ eix kxkb
[...]
Kxkb is a KControl module and frontend for X11 keyboard extension,
allowing the user to configure and switch between keyboard mappings.

I don't know in what way num-lock can still be considered a keyboard
extension, but there you are. As far as I can remember. all keyboards but
laptops' have had keypads for about 20 years. They are absolutely standard.

> My numlock refuses completely to come up ON, despite it being set to be on
> in the BIOS and KDE being set to "Leave it unchanged" ....

I tell KDE to switch it on regardless, as that's how I want it. Quite
possibly, X will get to it before KDE and switch it off. Looks like this has
not been properly thought out - or perhaps my understanding is faulty.

--
Rgds
Peter.