[kde-linux] Camera support

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Nov 23 19:01:30 UTC 2006

John Andersen wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:52, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have an Olympus photographic camera which is not listed in the
>> control panel as supported. Obviously I can see photos and transfer
>> them just like any USB but what exactly the support does? And why is
>> it so limited to those cameras?
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Many cameras can be seen as either a USB storage device or
> as a separate kind of device  (often called ptp mode)
> which allows photo software like digicam to interact with
> the camera and obtain data from pictures, (exif info, photo
> settings etc) and even print requests directly from the camera itself.
>
> Its usually slower than just just using it as a usb mass storage
> device, but it does offer some features for some users that
> they can't get with USB mass storage.

I've been happiest just reading the camera's memory card using my
external memory card reader. For one thing, it doesn't use up the camera
battery. The card appears as a standard removable drive, so I can use
all my standard tools for accessing it.

I don't know if it's still true, but I've heard that establishing USB
connections with some cameras can be problematic.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community