[kde-linux] Camera support

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Thu Nov 23 10:31:19 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:52, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an Olympus photographic camera which is not listed in the
> control panel as supported. Obviously I can see photos and transfer
> them just like any USB but what exactly the support does? And why is
> it so limited to those cameras?
>
> Regards,

Many cameras can be seen as either a USB storage device or
as a separate kind of device  (often called ptp mode)
which allows photo software like digicam to interact with
the camera and obtain data from pictures, (exif info, photo
settings etc) and even print requests directly from the camera itself.

Its usually slower than just just using it as a usb mass storage
device, but it does offer some features for some users that
they can't get with USB mass storage.

--
John Andersen