[kde-linux] Camera support

John Layt john at layt.net
Fri Nov 24 18:47:14 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 09:52, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an Olympus photographic camera which is not listed in the
> control panel as supported. Obviously I can see photos and transfer
> them just like any USB but what exactly the support does? And why is
> it so limited to those cameras?
>
> Regards,

The specific cameras listed are those old style cameras where the manufactuer
designed their own propritary protocol for connecting to the camera and which
are supported by the GPhoto2 project.  All modern cameras support either of
the standard USB Mass Storage (UMS) or Picture Transport Protocol (PTP)
transfer protocols and thus do not need to be listed seperately (nor could we
even attempt to keep up!).

The fact yours just works on pluggng it in shows how much easier it is now
everyone just uses the standards, it's true plug-and-play.

John.