[kde-linux] Starting ssh at log-in

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 18:43:10 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 13:28, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On 20.11.2006 14:33, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I backup my work regularly using rsync/ssh/keychain/cron.  When I set
> > this up under FC4 I was asked for my ssh password immediately after the
> > kde login screen, so I don't know whether it became part of the kde
> > login, or whether that was just coincidental.  Now, under FC6, I start
> > sshd when I first open a console.  If I have not done that by the time
> > the first cron is schedules to run, it fails.
> >
> > If it was part of the kde login, I presume there is something that needs
> > adding/editing.  Can anyone help?  That method was much better than the
> > current one.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi,
> What do you mean by ssh password? Is this the password for a remote
> machine? What exactly is your backup procedure? If you give some more
> detail, maybe we'd be able to give you an automated way to do this.
> Anyway, I don't think your previous routine was part of KDE login. Maybe
> there was a script that was automatically invoked upon login, but that was
> not the login itself.

Hi, Boyan.  Yes, this is a ssh password to enable my work directory to be
rsync-ed onto another box.keychain caches it, so that when cron calls for it
I don't have to be present to give it - the rsync can happen automatically.

Perhaps all that is needed is for me to save a session with a terminal open?
I presume that the fact that it currently has the password would not affect
the new session, so that I would be asked immediately the session recovery
was complete.

Or is there a better way of doing it?  Perhaps something I could put
into /etc/rc.d/rc.local?