[kde-linux] Kate Toolbars (Again)

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Mon Nov 20 05:15:35 UTC 2006

On Sunday 19 November 2006 22:13, Scott Couston - Registration Account
wrote:
> Dear Hal.
>
> You probably have not got any replies because I have no idea what you
> are trying to achieve and what you are doing with Kate.

I'm trying to be able to have a different toolbar on the Kate window
than the default one.  While editing, I want to be able to use my own
buttons on Kate.  I've been using Kate for years and this has been an
issue for somewhere from 2-3 years.  I've been moving back and forth
from Kate for Perl to Eclipse for Java.  (And as for the time, I've
asked about this on other sites and forums, but not yet had any useful
answers.)

This started with a smaller problem: Whenever I loaded a file into Kate,
it was unpredictable what order the toolbar icons would be in when the
file loaded.  If I went to Settings->Configure Toolbars and moved one
icon up and down in the edit windows, then saved it, I would get a
toolbar I could use.  There seemed to be no consistency with toolbar
icons and their orders, though, and some icons would be left off.  If I
switched from one file to another, the icon order would be different on
the toolbar for each file.

I posted the earlier problem here and someone suggested deleting the
metainfo and sessions files.  That didn't help, so I deleted all the
configuration files and let Kate rebuild them.  Everything worked fine
and my toolbar icons were consistent for the first time in years.  Then
I tried to add the Reload icon to the Kate Part toolbar and that's when
the behavior I describe father down happened.

> With respect to reporting bugs the moment you start be saying you
> deleted or edited a config file  - you will get in immediate close
> invalid.

Aren't the applications capable of rebuilding config files to a default
setting if there are none?  What is the difference between me deleting
my config files and starting over and creating a new account, which
would have none of the config files until I run KDE and/or Kate from
that account?

> If you report a bug, just outline the steps you use via the GUI and
> ONLY edit a config file or supply it at the request of KDE.
> The moment you cease to become the user and NOT use the GUI as it is
> intended KDE will not talk to you ever.

I realize you're telling me this to help me, so this is not aimed at
you, but in almost every FOSS project I've used, it seems there are
different standards for bug reports and as a user of those programs,
most people don't have time to learn the quirks and rules each project
has.

> I would suggest that you frame your question something like this.
> Remember with bug reports you are reporting errors on the application
> as it appears as a GUI and you a user, if you start reporting bugs
> saying you are altering config files you will get no where fast.

Okay, in this case, deleting the config files -- should that not just
leave Kate thinking I'm a new user and building default config files?
In other words, is the problem here more that I'm dabbling where users
should not be as opposed to me having hosed the system?

> In respect to you issue with KATE please try something like the
> following but more elaborate
>
> My task is to perform ???????????? and XXXXXXXXXXXX
> I a using kate in order to ??????
> The problem with kate in its original form is ????????????
> So I have deleted the ??????????????
> Which has caused ???????????????
> Only trouble is ???????????
>
> Any ideas how I can stop ?????????????? happening so I can use Kate
> in this way.
>
> If you do not get a response after framing the problem you are going
> to need a more upmarket mailing list.

What do you mean by upmarket?

Thanks.

Hal