[kde-linux] Kate Toolbars (Again)

Scott Couston - Registration Account alpha096 at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 20 03:13:31 UTC 2006

Dear Hal.

You probably have not got any replies because I have no idea what you
are trying to achieve and what you are doing with Kate.
With respect to reporting bugs the moment you start be saying you
deleted or edited a config file  - you will get in immediate close
If you report a bug, just outline the steps you use via the GUI and ONLY
edit a config file or supply it at the request of KDE.
The moment you cease to become the user and NOT use the GUI as it is
intended KDE will not talk to you ever.
I would suggest that you frame your question something like this.
Remember with bug reports you are reporting errors on the application as
it appears as a GUI and you a user, if you start reporting bugs
saying you are altering config files you will get no where fast.

In respect to you issue with KATE please try something like the
following but more elaborate

My task is to perform ???????????? and XXXXXXXXXXXX
I a using kate in order to ??????
The problem with kate in its original form is ????????????
So I have deleted the ??????????????
Which has caused ???????????????
Only trouble is ??????????? 

Any ideas how I can stop ?????????????? happening so I can use Kate in
this way.

If you do not get a response after framing the problem you are going to
need a more upmarket mailing list.

Kind Regards and G'Day from OZ Scott

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 13:58 -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> I'm still having trouble with Kate toolbars, but now I can predict 
> what's going on, and it seems like there's a problem with a pointer 
> somewhere, so this may help.  I don't program in C or C++ and I'm self 
> taught.  I've had problems filing bug reports before on open source 
> projects, so I don't want to file a bug report until I feel like I have 
> enough to give a good description and someone here can tell me if I'm 
> providing useful information.  (In the past, in OpenOffice and a few 
> other programs, I've filed bug, tried to give a good description, and 
> was criticized by in the response.  It's happened a couple times, with 
> comments being for different reasons, but it's led me to think that 
> developers tend to want an excuse to close the bug more than a reason 
> to fix it, and if that means blaming the messenger, do it that way.)
> I'm using Kate and KDE 3.5.2 in Kubuntu Dapper Drake (I think that's 
> Kubuntu 5.04).  I may be upgrading soon to Edgy Eft, but I don't like 
> upgrading until a release has been out for a while so the initial bugs 
> are fixed.
> Here's the problem:
> Originally when I used edited toolbars that were set to give me what I 
> wanted, the toolbars would be different for each text file.  I went 
> through .kde/share/apps and killed all the Kate config files and also 
> in .kde/share/config and did the same thing.  That way I started Kate 
> with no config at all.  For a while it worked.  The toolbars remained 
> constant.  Then I added the Reload icon to the Kate Part view tool bar 
> and trouble started.  All files got the same new toolbar, which was 
> what I wanted.  However, when I switched from one file to another, I 
> noticed the toolbar changed.  I finally was able to track down what was 
> happening.  The Kate Main toolbar is on the left, followed by the Kate 
> Part toolbar.  The Part toolbar starts moving one icon to the left each 
> time I change a file, until the Main toolbar is gone.  While this is 
> happening the Main toolbar icons will show up at the right end of the 
> icons, but not in order.  As I keep switching files, all the Part 
> toolbar icons will "slide" off the left until all I'm left with are the 
> original Main toolbar icons, in their original order.
> It seems to me there is a problem with tracking a pointer.  Again, I'm 
> not a C programmer, but I do use Java and Perl.  My guess is that a 
> pointer for the icons is using 1 or 0 for the start of the icon list 
> when it should be using the other (i.e. using 1 instead of 0 or using 0 
> instead of 1), but that's just a guess.
> There are some bugs that look close to this, but I'm not sure if it's 
> the same one, and this could be fixed in the next version above 3.5.2 
> (is there one without going to KDE 4 beta?).
> If anyone has ideas how I can fix this irritation (and it is a big one 
> for me and the way I work), it would be appreciated.  I'd rather wait a 
> few more weeks before upgrading to Edgy Eft.
> Thanks for any feedback or suggestions in filing bug reports on this.
> Hal
> ___________________________________________________
> This message is from the kde-linux mailing list.
> Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux.
> Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
> More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-linux/attachments/20061120/b41dee74/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 2145 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-linux/attachments/20061120/b41dee74/attachment.bin>

More information about the kde-linux mailing list