[kde-linux] search for a file "synchronisation" programm

noskule noskule at gmx.net
Mon May 29 07:02:10 UTC 2006

Sylviane et Perry White schrieb:

>On Saturday 24 August 2002 17:49, noskule wrote:
>

>>hi list
>>
>>I'm looking for a file"synchronisation" programm that sould fit the
>>following needs
>>
>>* copy and move spezific (not all) files from a folder to another
>>

>What makes those files "spezific"?
>(do you mean you want to specify those files on arbitrary criterions ?)

just the name. I'm working on a skin for a wiki. The wiki has a skin
folder with default files. If  the files get modified they get saved in
a diffrent dir. So to update the skin I have to copy it back to the skin
dir. Since i dont no witch files was modified I have to check the
folder. This I would like to automate.

>>* copy a folder from one place to another and overwrite existing
>>folder/files like mv and cp does it.
>>

>Konqueror?

More like the synchro feature in KBear. The problem is, that I never got
the programm running properly, it crashes allways if I use the synchro
feature.  I use the kubuntu 5.1 distro.  In kbear I can choose two
destinations and and runn the synchro. The synchro looks whats diffrent
and present a list. In the list can I choose witch files I would like to
synchronise. What I would need there (I dont no if its possible) that I
could save the settings (which files I did choose). I will install suse
on a computer in some days then I will give it a try. I'm just wondering
if the synchro feature is a KBear thing or if its actualy an other
programm . .. .

>>Is someone aware of a software that does this?
>>
>>thanks in advance
>>nos
>>

>I am afraid I don't really understand your question.
>
>Your second requirement, moving files or folders (with overwriting) is a
>matter of permission and you may have to deal with links.
>Perhaps you want to set up a cron job?
>What is wrong with mv, cp or konk?
>Googling I found something about Rsync, for backups...
>(http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/)
>... but I don't belive it will fill all your requitrements.

will take a look at this  . .. .

>Concerning your first requirement, I remember from the old "Amiga" days of a
>backup program that would maintain (somewhere?) a backup bit for
>"interresting files" to be backed up ... are you looking for something
>similar? (sorry, I don't know about that yet)
>
>If you don't find a suitable program, I bet it is possible to write a shell
>file for that, a cron job could evoke it, and the "backup bits" could be
>maintained in a separate file (unless you find a way to use the protection
>bits for that purpose).

I started just that, cause it seams most flexible