[kde-linux] search for a file "synchronisation" programm

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Sat May 27 17:59:21 UTC 2006

On Saturday 24 August 2002 17:49, noskule wrote:
> hi list
>
> I'm looking for a file"synchronisation" programm that sould fit the
> following needs
>
> * copy and move spezific (not all) files from a folder to another
What makes those files "spezific"?
(do you mean you want to specify those files on arbitrary criterions ?)

> * copy a folder from one place to another and overwrite existing
> folder/files like mv and cp does it.
Konqueror?

> Is someone aware of a software that does this?
>
> thanks in advance
> nos

I am afraid I don't really understand your question.

Your second requirement, moving files or folders (with overwriting) is a
matter of permission and you may have to deal with links.
Perhaps you want to set up a cron job?
What is wrong with mv, cp or konk?
Googling I found something about Rsync, for backups...
(http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/)
... but I don't belive it will fill all your requitrements.

Concerning your first requirement, I remember from the old "Amiga" days of a
backup program that would maintain (somewhere?) a backup bit for
"interresting files" to be backed up ... are you looking for something
similar? (sorry, I don't know about that yet)

If you don't find a suitable program, I bet it is possible to write a shell
file for that, a cron job could evoke it, and the "backup bits" could be
maintained in a separate file (unless you find a way to use the protection
bits for that purpose).

greetings		Perry
--
BOFH excuse #453: Rhythmic variations in the voltage reaching the power
supply.