[kde-linux] KDE crippled for certain user

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri May 19 10:25:19 UTC 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 12:50, Bill Dika wrote:
> I recently installed Gentoo 2006 and emerged kdebase and kdeadmin. When I
> installed Gentoo, I kept my /home partition from my previous installation
> (Kubuntu). The user from my /home partition was 'dad'. Now when I log into
> KDE as dad, only the Actions items (Log Out, Lock Session,Run Command,
> Quick Browser and Bookmarks) show up on the start menu and one menu item in
> Applications (which does nothing when I click on it). I created another
> user 'dad2' and the full menu shows up (Actions items, and under
> Applications: Editors, Internet, Multimedia etc). I deleted the ~.kde
> directories in dad and restarted KDE but no luck.
>
> I am relatively certain that this is related to the fact that user 'dad''s
> /home was already on the system when I installed Gentoo because as
> mentioned above, adding a new user seems to bring up a fully functioning
> KDE. I am relatively confident that the permissions on the relevant KDE
> directories are set properly (everyone can read). Is this a configuration
> file problem? If it is, which configuration file and how do I go about
> fixig it. It seems like KDE is getting limited information about user 'dad'
> when it starts up and results in a crippled desktop for user dad.

Can you check ownsership and access rights of /home/dad/.local and maybe on
file (also hidden ones) in /home/dad?

When switching distributions while keeping /home sometimes the other
distribution has different values where they start certain user IDs

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>