[kde-linux] KDE crippled for certain user

Bill Dika bdika at hotmail.com
Thu May 18 22:36:51 UTC 2006

Hi Werner:

Thanks for responding to my post.

I tried

"kbuildsyscoca "

and got the following messages
quote
kbuildsycoca running...

Reusing existing ksycoca

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
quote

and then it exits to the shell prompt.

I tried running

kbuildsycoca --global

and got the following messages:

quote
trying to create local folder /usr/share/config: Permission denied

Configuration file "usr/share/config/kbuuildsycocarc" not writable
Configuration file "usr/share/config/kdeglobals" not writable
Please contact your system administrator
quote

Does local folder in the above message refer to my Home directory? I checked
my /usr/share directory and there is no config directory in it. Should I
make the /usr/share directory writable by users other than root? Also I have
no /usr/share directory in my Home directory. Should I run 'kbuildsycoca
--global as root or am I supposed to run it as a regular user?

Hope you can help me make sense of this Werner.

Thanks.

p.s. I hope I responded correctly to your post. This is my first time
responding to a mailing list post.

Regards
Bill Dika