[kde-linux] KDE / X / Fonts and dpi

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Mar 31 05:28:37 UTC 2006

Andreas Woithon wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Do you have a 5:4 screen?  If not and you have a CRT, then set the
>> resolution so that you have square pixels.
> Yes, the resolution is set to 1280x1024 which should be 5:4. It's a TFT-LCD
> with 376mm x 301mm active display size.
> How do I get the pixels to be square? Changing the resolution to 4:3?

You can't change the resolution since you don't have a CRT.  With a flat
screen, the native resolution is fixed, and you should set X to use the
display's native resolution.

>> That isn't going to help unless you are using bit mapped fonts.  The DPI
>> value is just used to convert from Point sizes to Pixel sizes.  Except
>> for possible rounding issues, changing the DPI from 86 to 75 is just
>> going to make your fonts smaller.
> It's an issue because I develop some easy web sites and when I check the
> look it should fit also within IE, Mozill, etc.
>
>> OTOH, having stuff show up at actual 100% isn't really that important to
>> me.  I have my DPI set to 100 DPI for a 15 inch 1024x768 display.  If
>> you have a CRT, can you set it for a format that will result in smaller
>> pixels?
> I would like to use the screen size to its best. High resolution with small
> fonts.

The problem is that you really don't have a high enough resolution
display to display the fonts actual size and have them look good.  I can
only suggest that you try 100 DPI and see in this looks better.

--
JRT