[kde-linux] KDE / X / Fonts and dpi

Andreas Woithon forum at awoithon.de
Thu Mar 30 18:42:33 UTC 2006

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Do you have a 5:4 screen?  If not and you have a CRT, then set the
> resolution so that you have square pixels.
Yes, the resolution is set to 1280x1024 which should be 5:4. It's a TFT-LCD
with 376mm x 301mm active display size.
How do I get the pixels to be square? Changing the resolution to 4:3?

> That isn't going to help unless you are using bit mapped fonts.  The DPI
> value is just used to convert from Point sizes to Pixel sizes.  Except
> for possible rounding issues, changing the DPI from 86 to 75 is just
> going to make your fonts smaller.
It's an issue because I develop some easy web sites and when I check the
look it should fit also within IE, Mozill, etc.

> OTOH, having stuff show up at actual 100% isn't really that important to
> me.  I have my DPI set to 100 DPI for a 15 inch 1024x768 display.  If
> you have a CRT, can you set it for a format that will result in smaller
> pixels?
I would like to use the screen size to its best. High resolution with small
fonts.

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß / Sincerely
Andreas Woithon