[kde-linux] Using Konqueror tabs, missing time zones, docs showing up twice in lists, resources for newbie?

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 01:38:52 UTC 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 8:28 pm, hugh wrote:
> ==> Using tabs in Konqueror:
> I would like to check out Konquerer in more detail as a web browser, but
> I find I constantly use tabs while browsing. I can't figure out how to
> switch between tabs via the keyboard, rather than mouse. In fact, the
> usual keys assigned in Opera for this are <Ctrl> <Tab>, which switches
> between desktops in kde! I reassigned some keys in opera so that it
> works now, but want to do same in Konqueror.
Ctrl+, and Ctrl+. switch tabs.
Also, Ctrl+Shift+N or Ctrl+T opens a new tab and Ctrl+Shift+D duplicates the
current tab. Ctrl+W closes the current tab.

> ==> Shortcuts and searches in Konqueror:
> Opera allows you to match shortcuts to bookmarks, so that typing just a
> character or two (or whatever you set it up as) in the URL field then
> pressing <return> opens that page. Even better, you can do this with
> searches. For example, I have it set up so that
> w kde
> searches wikipedia for kde (defaults to download.com search - no
> thanks). Can something similar be done in Konquerer? These features I'm
> asking about are what have led me to use Opera over other browsers, but
> Konquerer's integration as a file manager makes me quite eager to
> switch, assuming I don't have to give up these few features I consider
> vital, all of which center around using the keyboard instead of the mouse.
Try wp:KDE or gg:KDE.

> ==> The clock in KDE shows UTC only, and when I go to reset it it seems
> to only have UTC as an option. Endless googling found references to
> timezone bugs in solaris that seemed unrelated, plus one reference to
> this very problem, but it was an old and unanswered post to a newsgroup :(
> Now, my lack of linux knowledge shows here: I gather linux gets the
> timezone from which zone /etc/localtime is symlinked to in
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/  - that makes sense. However, I have only GMT
> labeled timezones and kde lists only UTC. They are two terms for the
> same thing, right? I can't figure out where kde keeps timezone info.
If you are saying that there is only GMT under /usr/share/zoneinfo/, then this
sounds like a distribution problem. Try asking on the puppylinux mailing
lists. My /usr/share/zoneinfo/ looks like this:
Africa      Chile    Factory    Iceland      MET      Portugal   UCT
America     CST6CDT  GB         Indian       Mexico   posix      Universal
Antarctica  Cuba     GB-Eire    Iran         Mideast  PRC        US
Arctic      EET      GMT        iso3166.tab  MST      PST8PDT    UTC
Asia        Egypt    GMT0       Israel       MST7MDT  right      WET
Atlantic    Eire     GMT-0      Jamaica      Navajo   ROC        W-SU
Australia   EST      GMT+0      Japan        NZ       ROK        zone.tab
Brazil      EST5EDT  Greenwich  Kwajalein    NZ-CHAT  Singapore  Zulu
Canada      Etc      Hongkong   Libya        Pacific  SystemV
CET         Europe   HST        localtime    Poland   Turkey

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://q.geek.nz/