[kde-linux] Position icons on Desktop sometimes changes

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Jan 21 12:28:54 UTC 2006

On Saturday, 21 January 2006 09:32, dawizz wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Currently I am running KDE 3.4.3
> on debian etch ( testing : kernel 2.6.12-1-k7 )
>
> Sometimes the icons on my Desktop seem to switch place, as in
> a couple of icons move a few positions on the 'grid' of the desktop.

yeah, I've experiences this too

> I am looking for a answer on how to stop my icons from moving.

I'll tell you what I did

> Every setting on sorting or lining up the icons is switched off.
> The only thing switched on is 'Align to grid'  to keep them in a proper
> place where I want them to be... a couple of days, or weeks they stay on
> there correct position, and then sometimes they move a place up after a
> startup.
>
> I saw this happen on combinations with debian stable and testing with KDE
> 3.3 and KDE 3.4...
>
> What is my error?
> Witch setting am I overlooking?
> Can anyone help?
>
> Tx. in advance, Willem

I have not experienced this "setting switched off" problem, and I am running a
fairly "old" Mepis (based on Debian unstable/testing 2004 when I installed
and I don't remember exactly what and when I upgraded but I have KDE 3.3.2 at
the time).

I had 2 problems: some time icons would change position and sometime Icons
would not align the way I wanted.

My solution is not "clean" but it does work:

- setup your icons the way you want
- navigate to ~/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop and look for the file IconPositions.
- make this file read only

This of course means you'll have to make it read-write again if you want to
add icons on the destop, but it has the advantage that Icons wont travel
anymore. You may also edit the icons positions by hand (this is the way I got
them aligned the way I wanted).

As I said, not very elegant but... it's the only answer I found

Thierry

Frank Zappa