[kde-linux] kde file association problem

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 21 11:46:51 UTC 2006

I'm having a problem getting kde 3.4 to maintain a specific file association.
The application is M$ Word running under Crossover Office.  The syntax for
calling the M$ appsunder Crossover is something like "Crossover+app"

The default file association keeps getting reset to some gibberish so that kde
can't find the app after double clicking on a *.doc icon.  This does not
happen with any other app on my system including other Crossover driven M$
apps; they have always been and remain properly associated.  Even if I copy
the association text from another Crossover app and modify it (e.g. replace
"excel" with "word"), it gets reset after I reboot the machine (doesn't
happen if I just restart X).

I tried a workaround which only partially worked.  I created a shell command
in /usr/bin which calls the Crossover app.  With this, kde can start word if
I double click a *.doc icon, but it doesn't open the particular file; I am
left with a blank document

Any thoughts on fixing either half of the problem.  (Please no flames on the
use of M$ apps)
TIA
Paul