[kde-linux] KMail Structures

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 24 18:55:54 UTC 2006

At work, I have a new Dell M70 Mobile Workstation to replace my
ancient SuperMicro SuperServer workstation.  There is a loss in
performance:  the new system only has a single CPU and the hard
drives are slower.  However, there is some compensation in that I no
longer need to use a "crash cart" to move my system when I need to
work in another part of the building and the Dell 24" flat panel
display does provide a lot of real estate when I'm working in my office.

I've had SuSE Linux running on my old system since version 8.  I've
upgraded the system to each of the version 9 releases and then to
SuSE Linux 10.  All the upgrades were done in situ so there is more
than a bit of cruft on the system.  During this entire time, I've
used KDE for my desktop environment although I have experimented with
GNOME and several other desktop environments included in the SuSE
software distribution.

The new system has SuSE Linux 10 installed.  For most KDE
applications, I don't mind starting over from scratch.  The one
exception is KMail.  I maintain my mail on a server running IMAP and
have used KMail to create directories and mail folders on the
server.  This structural information appears to be stored in ~./.kde/
share/config/kmailrc and ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/

To configure KMail on my new system can I simply copy the existing
kmailrc file from the old system and use rsync to replicate the KMail
data structures in the kmail subdirectory?

What is the significance of the funky numeric string used to
associate the data structures with the IMAP server?

One final question involves updating KMail's address book to
incorporate information from a Pine address book.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net