[kde-linux] Lost panel config and kmenu submenus

Mark Ness msn1inc at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 19:18:56 UTC 2006

I am running FC3. I updated my KDE-3.4 to 3.5.1 using yum with
 kde-redhat -stable repos. I was having problems with groupupdate so I did it
 with yum update kde*. (I didn't want to update OO or anything else anyway,
 JUST KDE desktop).
 All went well.
 The next day I did a check-update with kde-redhat and found 3 more packages I
 might need.
  PyQt.i386
  PyQt-devel.i386 and
  redhat-menus.noarch
 after updating these 3 packages, I lost my system settings sub menu with all its
 apps, I lost the menu editor (rightclick on kmenu, the editor is still there but
 doesn't work), and I lost the panel (kicker) config options, and I lost the control
 center.

 I have tried many things and can't remember all of what I tried.
 I found the kmenuedit executable and replaced the system settings submenu
 and the only app I could recall being in there was the service manager. the
 control center->desktop->panel window is empty. I found kcontroedit executable
 but don't know what to do.

 Any suggestions? I would like to try to "fix" this if I can for the learning
 experience, but if I need to remove/reinstall KDE I guess I will.
 I know I can relace the missing menus and apps, but I don't know what they
 are. I can deal with kmenuedit CLI instead of the rightclick option. I have no
 idea what to do with the panel config (tadkbar is the only option in the conigure panel dialogue).

 Here is what's left of my kmenu...
  Accessories
  Edutainment
  Games
  Graphics
  Internet
  Office
  Programming
  Sound and Video
  System Tools
    And the newly added nearly empty
  System Settings (only one app so far which I believe should be under "other").
 Control Center

 Thanks for any help
 MN