[kde-linux] Lost panel config and kmenu submenus

Jason Mancini jayrusman at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:15:48 UTC 2006

Edit /usr/lib/menu/kdebase-fileappearance and
change title="Appearance" to "FileAppearance")

update-menus -v

(wait...)

kbuildsycoca --noincremental

-Jason

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mark Ness <msn1inc at yahoo.com>

I am running FC3. I updated my KDE-3.4 to 3.5.1 using yum with
  kde-redhat -stable repos. I was having problems with groupupdate so I did
it
  with yum update kde*. (I didn't want to update OO or anything else anyway,
  JUST KDE desktop).
  All went well.
  The next day I did a check-update with kde-redhat and found 3 more
packages I
  might need.
   PyQt.i386
   PyQt-devel.i386 and
   redhat-menus.noarch
  after updating these 3 packages, I lost my system settings sub menu with
all its
  apps, I lost the menu editor (rightclick on kmenu, the editor is still
there but
  doesn't work), and I lost the panel (kicker) config options, and I lost
the control
  center.

  I have tried many things and can't remember all of what I tried.
  I found the kmenuedit executable and replaced the system settings submenu
  and the only app I could recall being in there was the service manager.
the
  control center->desktop->panel window is empty. I found kcontroedit
executable
  but don't know what to do.

  Any suggestions? I would like to try to "fix" this if I can for the
learning
  experience, but if I need to remove/reinstall KDE I guess I will.
  I know I can relace the missing menus and apps, but I don't know what they
  are. I can deal with kmenuedit CLI instead of the rightclick option. I
have no
  idea what to do with the panel config (tadkbar is the only option in the
conigure panel dialogue).

  Here is what's left of my kmenu...
   Accessories
   Edutainment
   Games
   Graphics
   Internet
   Office
   Programming
   Sound and Video
   System Tools
     And the newly added nearly empty
   System Settings (only one app so far which I believe should be under
"other").
  Control Center

  Thanks for any help
  MN