[kde-linux] USB camera

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 02:20:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 7:01 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 16 April 2006 06:05, Andrew Walbran wrote:
> > It is identified as /dev/sdb (/dev/sda is my internal SATA hard drive). I
> > don't want it automatically mounted, I just want KDE to recognise it as a
> > camera rather than as generic removable media. How does KDE determine
> > whether a USB mass storage device is a camera or not?
>
> I agree with a previous poster, that udev and hal rules are the way to
> achieve this.  It's possible to get the system to read the identification
> info from the device and then mount it with the device name.  IIRC you can
> specify 'camera' if you don't want it to say 'Olympus' or whatever.  Try a
> google search.
I don't mind what name it mounts it with. What I want is for KDE's 'new medium
detected' window to include the options for the 'Camera' medium (as
configured in Control Center->Peripherals->Storage Media) rather than just
the generic 'Removable Medium' options.

For example, I want to be given an option to run digiKam when I plug my camera
in, but not when I plug my USB flash drive in. How does KDE determine whether
or not a USB mass storage device is a camera?

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://user.interface.org.nz/~andrew/