[kde-linux] USB camera

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 07:01:32 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 06:05, Andrew Walbran wrote:

> It is identified as /dev/sdb (/dev/sda is my internal SATA hard drive). I
> don't want it automatically mounted, I just want KDE to recognise it as a
> camera rather than as generic removable media. How does KDE determine
> whether a USB mass storage device is a camera or not?

I agree with a previous poster, that udev and hal rules are the way to achieve
this.  It's possible to get the system to read the identification info from
the device and then mount it with the device name.  IIRC you can specify
'camera' if you don't want it to say 'Olympus' or whatever.  Try a google
search.