[kde-linux] kdm problem..

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Oct 19 06:27:29 UTC 2005

Joey Prewett wrote:
> Hello all, I'm new to the list...
>
> I'm having a problem with kdm.  Normally, I use KDE,
> but recently I have aquired a device that will need a
> much lighter weight desktop to function.  I wanted to
> test out Matchbox WM, so I downloaded it using
> kynaptic (I use Kubuntu 5.04).  Everything went fine,
> and the kdm documentation says that it should
> automatically show up as a session option in kdm.  It
> doesn't.  I checked /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions and
> it has a matchbox.desktop file, so what gives?

Open the file: "/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions/matchbox.desktop

Note the line:

TryExec=matchbox

This causes it to check for an executable: "matchbox"; if it isn't found
on the path in effect when the: "xsession" script is run, it will not
display the option.

So open a Konsole and try:

	which matchbox

--