[kde-linux] kmail doesn't filter spam with spamassassin

christophe christophe.dr at free.fr
Wed Jul 27 01:12:41 UTC 2005

Le mardi 26 Juillet 2005 16:56, andrew kar a écrit :
> On Monday 25 July 2005 20:29, christophe wrote:
> > My deduction is : kmail is not doing what it should do since there should
> > be spam flags in the message headers triggered by the 'Pipe Through'
> > filter action.
>
> There are when you install it properly .

Well i did nothing unusual, just installed rpms properly and followed the
guide step by step.

> > or there must be something i did
> > wrong.
>
> Most definitely...

Read at the end of my message.

> All kmail does is run the filters; if your filters are not set up correctly
> then of course it wont work.

Well running the command (spamc) in a command line inserted the right headers
(X-Spam-...) for spams, but running it in kmail filters did not insert the
headers for spams. Yet, it is supposed so, as described in the kmail doc,
here :
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdepim/kmail/filters.html#filter-action
It might be a problem in a config file somewhere or an error in kmail rpm.

> Having said that it seems an awfully long time
> ago that kmail introduced an option to install spamassasin filters
> automatically so that people dont have to do it manually with old guides
> and howtos....

Well the wizard did not work for me. Maybe because i had already added a
filter for spams as described in tutorials ...?
I use kmail 1.7.1, installed via rpm (urpmi, mandrake 10.1), there might have
been a problem during the compilation, or a wrong config file somewhere.

>     Yes; I just checked... It was in the 1.6x cvs builds and released in
> version 1.7 with kde3.3.0.    So is there any reason why you can't just go
> to your kmail tools menu and choose the antispam wizard and let it install
> correctly working filters for you?

I had the anwer to my question on the spamassassin mailing list.
Actually, unlike the kmail+spamassassin tutorials teach it on the internet,
you don't need to put only spamc in the filter action, you have to use
"spamassassin -d | spamc" which forces kmail to have rewritten headers in the
mail.
Now it works.

--
Christophe