[kde-linux] Media metadata suddenly no longer show in tooltip or file properties!

Thomas McGuire thomasmg at web.de
Tue Jul 26 17:53:31 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 26 July 2005 05:54, Joe Crollard wrote:
> Hi.
Hello,

> I have no idea why this changed..but normally in konqueror, when I'd hover
> over an mp3 or ogg file, it would display some metadata in the tooltip. You
> know..like 'artist' 'album' 'date' etc would be there... Now, it's no
> longer doing this. Instead, it's just showing general file info...like
> filesize, filename, and such.  Does anyone know how to get this back?
> this is a kde problem or not.  I'm on SuSE 9.3 with KDE 3.4.  If some sort
> of package could be broken or missing, please tell me.  I really need some
> help.  Also, just to get this out of the way...tooltips are enabled in the
> 'configure konqueror' settings.  So they SHOULD show, however they do not.
> [..]
> As I said, maybe a package needs to be reinstalled, that contains files to
> make this this stuff happen? If so..what package?
The meta information for sound files (artist, album, ...) which should be
shown in the tooltip and it the properties dialog are in
kdemultimedia/kfile-plugins. So you should install the kdemultimedia
package(s).
However, SuSE 9.3 does not ship with MP3 support due to license issues,
perhaps their kdemultimedia packages are crippled. This means you have to
find the package from somewhere else, maybe even compile it yourself. Try
searching at google for SuSE MP3 package or something like that, I know you
can get unofficial packages for SuSE 9.3 from certain sites with full MP3
support.

Oh, and make sure under Settings->Configure Konqueror->Previews & Meta
Data->Select Protocols->Local Protocols the "file" and the "media" protocol
are selected.

Next time you post to kde-linux make sure to start a new thread, not reply to
an old one. You did reply to the "no sound" thread and changed the subject
line.

Hope that helps,
Thomas