[kde-linux] Netscape plugins not working in konqueror 3.3.2

Pollywog linux-kde at shadypond.com
Fri Jul 22 17:52:33 UTC 2005

On 07/22/2005 10:49 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 22 Jul 2005 10:55, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > Doesn't work for me, so - Can I ask for versions of kde/konqueror and
> > > browser, please?
> >
> > KDE 3.3.2 from Debian SID packages.
>
> My 3.3.2 is Mandriva, patched with backports, as I understand it.  One
> possibility.
>
> > KMPlayer is 0.8.4b
>
> 0.8.4-rc5
>
> > mplayer is  1.0pre7
>
> Mplayer is 0.90
>
> > Just tried the BBC link to make sure it works as well.
> >
> > Do the KMPlayer controls appear or isn't it loaded at all?
>
> It doesn't load at all.  It looks as though it tries, and fails, to run the
> full mplayer, but according to ksystemguard there is gmplayer left behind.

Have you tried setting your Konqueror config to use mplayer as a helper app
rather than kmplayer?  I recall having some problems with kmplayer, so I
removed it.

I am going to try kmplayer-plugin although I don't seem to have problems
getting Konqueror to play most media.  I think there is a newer version of
the unofficial kmplayer-plugin package for Xandros:

slider:/etc/apt# apt-cache show kmplayer-plugin
Package: kmplayer-plugin
Source: kmplayer
Version: 0.8.4-1zzupp
 This plugin enables audio/video playback inside konqueror, such as
 movie trailers, web tv or radio.

> One thing I have noticed, though, while checking out these version numbers:
> I ran slocate kmplayer as user and it was not found, whereas running the
> same command as root came up with /home/david/.kde/share/apps/kmplayer. The
> same directory (and file bookmarks) exists in /home/anne/.kde/share/apps,
> but slocate is not finding it.  Is there a clue there?  The permissions
> look OK.
>
> ls -al /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/kmplayer
> total 28
> drwx------   2 anne users  4096 Jul 22 11:12 ./
> drwx------  25 anne users  4096 Jul 22 11:12 ../
> -rw-------   1 anne users 19970 Jul 22 11:12 bookmarks.xml
>
> Clutching at straws, but hoping you can see something to shed light :-)

Have you run updatedb (as root of course) recently?

8)