[kde-linux] Problems with accents on KDE

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Wed Jul 6 01:36:46 UTC 2005

Anderson de Rezende Rocha wrote:

> Dears,
>
> I'm with problems using KDE. Suddenly, all my KDE applications stopped
> allowing accentuation. When I use kwrite, kile, kdevelop... I can't use
> accents anymore. However, others aplications non-kde under KDE like
> Emacs, Eclipse, Firefox still allow accentuation.

Works for me.  Looks like a configuration issue.  Are you using Kxkb?
(Usually, there will be a tray icon that looks like a flag in the panel.)

Things to do:
* post your ~/.kde/share/config/kxkbrc file
* Post the results of 'setxkbmap -print' from konsole.
* Can you remember any software upgrades or configuration changes that
happened around the time the feature stopped working properly.  Did you
upgrade KDE versions?  Did you upgrade or change X (e.g. from xfree to
Xorg)?  What distro are you running?

Things to check:

* Go to the Kxkb settings.  Either right-click the tray icon and select
"Configure" or go to Control Center -> Regional & Accessibility -> Keyboard
Layout.

* On the "Layout" tab:
  + check that "Enable keyboard layouts" is checked.
  + check that "Active Layouts" contains "U.S. English (us)"
  + Click on "U.S. English (us)" so that it is highlighted.
  + Check that "Layout variants" has "intl"
  + Check that "Keyboard model" matches what you have.  If not, pick
something generic like "Generic 101-key PC"
  + Check that "Command" says something like 'setxkbmap -model pc101 -layout
us -variant intl'

* On the "Switching Options" tab:
  + Check that "Show indicator for single layout" is checked.
  + Check that "Show country flag" is checked.
  + (**IMPORTANT**) Check that "Switching Policy" is set to "Global."
  + Check that "Sticky switching" is disabled.

* On the "Xkb options" tabl:
  + Check that "Enable xkb options" is UNchecked.

This may undo some nice customizations that you have set up for yourself,
but let's get it working and then add back your features.

Hope this helps!

-gabriel