[kde-linux] SOLVED: Evolution is a PITA

Ernie Schroder schroder at ntplx.net
Tue Dec 27 04:12:01 UTC 2005

On Monday 26 December 2005 22:38, a tiny voice compelled Pollywog to write:
> On 12/27/2005 03:27 am, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > Mepis or Knoppix will be slow as he** if you're running it from the CD
> > drive. It will runn considerably faster if you do a harddrive install
> > where it doesn't have to read andextract each file from the CD before you
> > use it. Comparing a live CD to an installed operating system is grossly
> > unfair.
>
> Yes that's true, but it was sooooo slow compared to Debian that I didn't
> think I should take the risk.
>
> I heard in a podcast I got from iTunes that Mepis is a good distro for old
> machines, that is why I wanted to try it out.  It didn't seem to do as good
> a hardware detection job as Debian did, and Debian didn't do an outstanding
> job of that.  Debian does run on this old machine when Xandros and Linspire
> would not, because it is so old (ThinkPad 560).
>
> BTW I fixed the "mailto" problem with Evolution/Foxfire.  Thanks for
> posting the fix information.
>

> 8)

Glad I could help with the email issue. As far as running Mepis on your
laptop, I would bet that the CD drive on that machine is very slow which
would slow things down a lot. If Debian is working for you, I would guess
that it would probably be marginally faster than Mepis.  I never cared for
Deb myself. I tried it a couple of times 5 or 6 years ago and never got all
of my hardware up and running. I run Gentoo now and although Gentoo isn't an
install for the meek, it can be quite fast on an older machine, once it is
installed, because you have more control over what is put on your machine.
Unless you have a fast desktop to compile apps for the laptop, you're talking
3 or 4 days, maybe more, to install Gentoo with X and KDE on your machine
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 23:00:25 up 6 days, 12:05,  3 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.48, 0.59
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+