[kde-linux] SOLVED: Evolution is a PITA

Pollywog linux-kde at shadypond.com
Tue Dec 27 03:38:41 UTC 2005

On 12/27/2005 03:27 am, Ernie Schroder wrote:

> Mepis or Knoppix will be slow as he** if you're running it from the CD
> drive. It will runn considerably faster if you do a harddrive install where
> it doesn't have to read andextract each file from the CD before you use it.
> Comparing a live CD to an installed operating system is grossly unfair.

Yes that's true, but it was sooooo slow compared to Debian that I didn't think
I should take the risk.

I heard in a podcast I got from iTunes that Mepis is a good distro for old
machines, that is why I wanted to try it out.  It didn't seem to do as good a
hardware detection job as Debian did, and Debian didn't do an outstanding job
of that.  Debian does run on this old machine when Xandros and Linspire would
not, because it is so old (ThinkPad 560).

BTW I fixed the "mailto" problem with Evolution/Foxfire.  Thanks for posting
the fix information.

8)