[kde-linux] SOLVED: Evolution is a PITA

Ernie Schroder schroder at ntplx.net
Tue Dec 27 03:27:08 UTC 2005

On Monday 26 December 2005 20:08, a tiny voice compelled Pollywog to write:
> On 12/27/2005 12:55 am, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > I removed evolution from my box and when I clicked my email link, nothing
> > happened (not unexpected) Did some more googling and I found a solution
> > in of all places, the Mepis forums. The solution is to append the line:
> > pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/kde/3.5/bin/kmail"); to
> > /opt/firefox/defaults/pref/firefox.js
> > close and re-open firefox, and you're good to go.
> > If you're set up to use another email client, you may see the path to
> > your current client. If so remove or edit that line.
>
> Coincidentally, I just today tried SimplyMepis on an old laptop that has
> Debian installed and concluded I should just keep Debian.  Mepis won't run
> any faster on that old dinosaur of a laptop.
>
> Thanks for the info on how to fix the mail situation.  I have the same
> problem.  I will try that fix and make a note of it somewhere because I
> know I will need it later.
>
> 8)

Mepis or Knoppix will be slow as he** if you're running it from the CD drive.
It will runn considerably faster if you do a harddrive install where it
doesn't have to read andextract each file from the CD before you use it.
Comparing a live CD to an installed operating system is grossly unfair.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 22:23:32 up 6 days, 11:28,  3 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.88, 0.91
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+