[kde-linux] SOLVED: Evolution is a PITA

Ernie Schroder schroder at ntplx.net
Tue Dec 27 00:55:30 UTC 2005

On Monday 26 December 2005 19:24, a tiny voice compelled Pollywog to write:
> On 12/27/2005 12:07 am, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > To clarify, I am still running KDE but evolution wants to compose emails
> > for me if I click an email link in firefox.
> > I closed KDE and started a gnome session andthe "gnome-control-center"
> > opened as a blank window. There should be some way to set "mailto" in the
> > KDE file associations, but I'm not seeing it.
>
> I understood, but I don't believe that setting this in KDE will affect
> Evolution.  You can try it.  Perhaps if you go to Control Center > File
> Associations > Message > RFC822 you can do it there.
> Does your KDE version have that menu in KDE Control Center?
>
> I just tried it but it did not affect Firefox, I believe you can only
> change the behavior of Firefox from a Gnomish configurator.  I don't
> believe Firefox "listens" to KDE options.
>
> 8)

I removed evolution from my box and when I clicked my email link, nothing
happened (not unexpected) Did some more googling and I found a solution in of
all places, the Mepis forums. The solution is to append the line:
pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/kde/3.5/bin/kmail");
/opt/firefox/defaults/pref/firefox.js
close and re-open firefox, and you're good to go.
If you're set up to use another email client, you may see the path to your
current client. If so remove or edit that line.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 19:47:53 up 6 days,  8:52,  3 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.21, 0.31
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+