[kde-linux] Moving the home folder to a netware volume with KDE

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 5 15:54:58 UTC 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 16:40, Nick Chackowsky wrote:
> I have looked at the kde-linux archives, and found some references to
> configuring ICEauthority, but I don't know where to find the configuration
> file. Here's my issue:
>
> I have a lab of computers on which I have installed Slackware.
> I want to use the KDE desktop, and want to have the users' home
> directories
> moved to the Novell Netware fileserver. Here's what I'm trying so far:

Have you tried pam-mount?
http://pam-mount.sourceforge.net/

> THE QUESTION
> In short, is there a way to somehow, once KDE is up and running,
> globally switch the user's home directory to some other location?

No, because KDE is up and running thus its environment can not be altered.
The environment can be altered during startup, i.e, when startkde is executed,
by adding files to a special subdirectory of KDE's installation prefix
(/usr/env when KDE is installed into /usr)

> ASIDE
> I've also tried mounting the netware server BEFORE KDE starts (using
> runlevel 3). That is, I login as user linux, ncpmount the network, then
> do export HOME="new home directory" (no nice graphical system in
> this case). Again, so far, so good. BUT, I can't launch KDE. I think
> the trouble is that KDE wants to create two files called
> .DCOPserver_silver__0 and symlink  .DCOPserver_silver_:0 in the home
> directory.

I think the second one is for backwards compatability and not strictly needed.

Cheers,
Kevin
--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>