[kde-linux] Moving the home folder to a netware volume with KDE

Nick Chackowsky chackowsky.nick at brandonsd.mb.ca
Mon Dec 5 15:40:06 UTC 2005

I have looked at the kde-linux archives, and found some references to
configuring ICEauthority, but I don't know where to find the configuration
file. Here's my issue:

I have a lab of computers on which I have installed Slackware.
I want to use the KDE desktop, and want to have the users' home
directories
moved to the Novell Netware fileserver. Here's what I'm trying so far:
I'm using runlevel 4, so the GUI auto-starts. I've set up KDE's login
manager to auto login an ordinary account (no password) named linux.
The home directory is therefore /home/linux.
Once in KDE, I do the following:
  mkdir netware
  mkdir security
  ncpmount -S vmserver -U "username" -P "password" netware
  ncpmount -S vmbordermanager -U "username" -P "password" security
  cl4others /home/linux/security/SYS
  ln -s "netware/data/username" nhome
That's all done in a nice Python/Tkinter script I've written, and so
far, so good. If I do
  cd nhome
Then I can see all the files in my home directory on the netware
server, and have complete rights to them. BUT, as far as Linux is
concerned, my home directory is still /home/linux. I want it to become
/home/linux/nhome, or /home/linux/netware/data/username.
If, in konsole, I do export HOME="/home/linux/netware..." then the
new HOME variable is local only to the konsole session. Any apps run
from the desktop still use /home/linux as the home directory, which
means of course that all the .configuration files and directories are
in the wrong place.

THE QUESTION
In short, is there a way to somehow, once KDE is up and running,
globally switch the user's home directory to some other location?

ASIDE
I've also tried mounting the netware server BEFORE KDE starts (using
runlevel 3). That is, I login as user linux, ncpmount the network, then
do export HOME="new home directory" (no nice graphical system in
this case). Again, so far, so good. BUT, I can't launch KDE. I think
the trouble is that KDE wants to create two files called
.DCOPserver_silver__0 and symlink  .DCOPserver_silver_:0 in the home
directory.
No trouble with the first one, but I don't think Netware will allow the
creation of a file with a colon in it. (Just tried it
directly-created a file called a:b and tried to copy it to the
Netware volumne-no joy.) Perhaps there's a way to get KDE to store
those two files elsewhere (locally) rather than in the user's home
directory? If so, I'd be willing to forego the fancy graphical login.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers,
Nick.

PS: This is the first time I'm using OpenText's FirstClass client to send
mail to a list; I hope it hasn't done anything weird--please let me know
if it does!