[Kde-l10n-kn] KDE 4 with Kannada translations is up and working!

Umesh Rudrapatna umeshrs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:33:34 CEST 2007

> 2) The better one if you (the viewers) are on Linux (KDE or GNOME or any
> desktop). Run SSH server on the machine with "KDE4 + translations setup" and
> connect to that using "ssh -X <kde4_user>@<kde4_machine_ip>". Once logged in
> you can type the command for your app (konqueror, kcontrol etc) and see it
> on your own desktop. I simply love "ssh -X". It's the power of X window
> system that we can't see in M$ Windows.  (Windows has rdesktop which is
> almost similar to vnc, but I haven't seen ssh -X like feature in Windows
> yet. Correct/Update me if I am wrong).

The situation is a bit more complicated than this. ssh -X alone wont work in
this case, since this is not a full fledged kde4 system. kde4 has been
installed inside kde3 (fc6), since kde4 is not completely stable. So, if I
say konqueror after ssh -X, i would get konqueror from kde 3.x instead of
from kde 4.0. We use xephyr within kde3 to view kde4 desktop (so that the
carshes are minimized). The trick is in being able to use xephyr remotely.
Prasad can probably throw some more light on this or fix it and later throw
some light on it :-). He will pretty soon figure out how we can do that. He
too once touched upon the idea of vnc.. so he is figuring out these things..
let us see how it emerges.