[Kde-l10n-kn] Very important - some translation guidelines

Umesh Rudrapatna umeshrs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 15:11:20 CEST 2007

Snehitare,
When we people were meeting to discuss various translation terms, we arrived
at a consensus on some other additional translation conventions. These are
very important, and please make it a point to follow them (detailed reasons
for each is given after all the guidlines)-

1. to use eka vacana everywhere, unless it becomes obviously rude in a given
context. e.g. ನಮೂದಿಸು instead of ನಮೂದಿಸಿ.
2. all application names, proper nouns etc, including kde names in to
Kannada script e.g. (ಮೊಜಿಲ್ಲಾ, ಕೆ ವಿನ್, ಡಾಲ್ಫಿನ್, ಡೇವಿಡ್, ಮೈಕೆಲ್ etc),
except acronyms (sftp, ftp, MIME etc).
3. terms in brackets also in Kannada script, like "ಪರಿಚಾರಕ (ಸರ್ವರ್)"
4. terms in brackets only where we deem them necessary
5. terms in brackets need not have tense or plural forms, unless a must
e.g. ಪರಿಚಾರಕಗಳನ್ನು (ಸರ್ವರ್) and not (ಸರ್ವರ್ ಗಳನ್ನು)
6. at least one spell and integrity check on the translated files before
sending it across
1. All strings will use eka vacana in addressing. i.e., it was felt that we
could treat the computer as a peer rather than as a subordinate :-).. Paresh
convinced us that we could use eka vacana all throughout if we are ok giving
up our ego to an extent :-). Since where to incorporate eka vacana or
bahuvacana is highly contextual, we may end up making wrong guesses. So,
instead, we decided to use eka vacana everywhere, unless it becomes
obviously rude in a given context.

2. We decided to translate all application names, proper nouns etc,
including kde names (like Mozilla, kwin, dolphin, David, Michael etc) in to
Kannada script. So, it will look like (ಮೊಜಿಲ್ಲಾ, ಕೆ ವಿನ್, ಡಾಲ್ಫಿನ್, ಡೇವಿಡ್,
ಮೈಕೆಲ್ etc). However, ftp, sftp, usb and other acronyms which are spelt out
as letters shall be retained as such. I guess some terms in the standards
(like MIME) have not followed this pattern. Sorry for that. But, all known
acronyms (except perhaps mouse) shall remain as such.

3. Most people felt, we could put the terms in brackets also in Kannada
script, like "ಪರಿಚಾರಕ (ಸರ್ವರ್)", with a  space in between.

4. We will put terms in brackets only where we deem them necessary. The
standards have this pattern incorporated. We have already put in the text so
that the transcription will be uniform and the the translation job gets a
bit more quicker.

5. The terms in brackets need not have tense or plural forms, unless a must.
Terms in brackets are hints, and need not be the exact translations-
e.g. ಪರಿಚಾರಕಗಳನ್ನು (ಸರ್ವರ್) and not (ಸರ್ವರ್ಗಳನ್ನು), and similarly at other
places. Server ಗಳನ್ನು is obvious from the context. This gives brevity at
many places. Agreed that it sounds slightly harsh :-).

6. We will do at least one spell and integrity check on the translated files
before sending it across on Monday. People using poedit may have some
difficulyt here. But cant help for the moment.

Nothing more is striking my mind as of now. In case it does, I will spam you
people with one more mail :-). In case you have any issues/ suggestions,
please let me know about it.

vandanegaLu,
umesh