[Kde-l10n-kn] Website

Umesh RS umeshrs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 06:55:50 CEST 2006

Namaste,
I feel that it is a good idea, though I am not clear as to what needs
to be put in. Here are some inputs from my side-  enabling input
methods, installing fonts, using Kbabel (perhaps relevant links will
do). Regarding how the translations need to be done, I feel we have
nearly clear understanding of what we DESIRE to do, but at times, very
little in terms of how we should achieve it! eg.  It is well accepted
that simplicity and specificity are key to good translations, but at
times, contradictory in practice :-). Here is what I came across from
a translator on Fedora translation list.
"He who gives up functionality for ease of use loses both and deserves
neither." (Anonymous)!!! We need to perhaps heed to this and similar
words of caution to an extent.
I guess we need to first try to design foolproof (to whatever extent
possible) mechanisms of conflict resolution etc, before the group
grows big, if at all if it does.I guess it will be a good exercise in
that sense for us too! Perhaps, we can borrow some stuff from what
Karnataka Rajya Vijnana Parishat does for translating Science articles
etc. We can learn from their policy, a copy of which  I can get. That
may be a good input to new translators. However, some issues are
contentious and we need to face them and device mechanisms to overcome
them. I feel these things having been resolved should be put up on the
website, so that people who want to join can be confident of the
conduct of the group.
But, are these stuff for attracting more translators? If not, I feel
we can impart/impose whatever we feel on newcomers (who come on their
own) on tete-a-tete basis :-). Please think of this. Also, any reply
to my earlier mail on working on a time-bound basis will hearten me.
Even rubbishing it would be perfectly fine :-).

vandanegaLu,
umesh